144 Wellington Street, also 161 Sparks Street
- Classified Federal Heritage Building
- potential highly significant Ontario heritage building
- direct link to the architecture of McKim, Mead & White
- transitional Art Deco and Modern Classical style elements
- vestigial Doric fluted pilasters and elements of entablature
- relief sculptures on Canadian themes, inspired by J.M.
- nearly a "superblock", with 3.5 finished façades
- earlier project on Wellington end, Maxwell
and Meredith (1906-7)
- Sparks end of site was previously Merchants Bank.
- opulent Roman Basilica interior with coved and coffered ceiling
- symmetrical and axial plan, progression of spaces, grand