10 Rideau Street, at Colonel By Drive (map
John Albert Ewart
- element of Confederation Square National Nistoric Site
- perpendicular or "skyscraper" Gothic style
- tripartite (base-shaft-crown) decoration evokes classical
- technique introduced by Beaux-Arts trained architects Gilbert, Post
- symmetrical façades to Colonel By Drive and to Rideau
- architect's training influenced by Chicacago Columbian Exhibition
- many other buildings by Ewart covered on this tour.
- used as "temporary" Ottawa City Hall (1931-58)
and NCC offices.
<< PREV NEXT>>