The history of Deep River dates back several centuries.
According to records, it was described that lumbering activities had begun in the Deep River tract around 1840. It served as a waterway for timber and provided space for a supply road to the upriver cutting limits.
In 1944, the erection of a large plant (Chalk River Nuclear Laboratories) in an isolated and sparsely populated section of the country resulted in the creation of this town within the period of one year.
In early 1945, the town of Deep River started to grow....
The first post office was established
The Bank of Montreal opened for business in a wartime house on Hillcrest. In May 1946, it moved to it's present location.
The first two organised clubs were formed - The Radio Club and Record Club.
The village's first grocery store was established and was taken over by A&P in the fall of 1946.
Deep River's first hospital was opened.
T. Eaton Co. opened Deep River's first department store, a branch of CDS.
'There was a queue of more than 100 housewives for opening day! The longest line-up was at the hosiery counter, for nylons were rarely available.'
This followed by the opening of beauty saloons, shoe repair, tailor and barber shops.
Tierney's Drug Store opened for business - 'The only drug store between Pembroke and Mattawa.'
The Strand Theatre was built.
Champlain Shopping Centre opened, consisting of 5 stores.
It was announced in the House of Commons that a new $50,000 post office would be built for the community of Deep River.
Loblaws opened a new grocery store in Glendale Shopping Plaza. followed shortly by a bank, variety store, shoe store and pharmacy.
Deep River in Pictures
| Back |