First mentioned in the chronicles as early as the 11th century, this town eventually grew
to a position of great importance. Later, however, the cross-currents of history treated
it none too greatly. It was twice sacked by the Tatars, scourged by the dreadful plague in
the 17th century, besieged by the invading Swedes, and, a target of military operations in
both world wars. Thanks to the efforts of the Soviet Colonel Skopenko, Sandomierz was spared
destruction during its liberation.
In spite of all these frowns of fortune, Sandomierz has preserved much of its erstwhile splendour. Among them are the Cathedral (1382), the house in which the medieval chronicler, Jan Dlugosz once lived (1478), a Dominican Abbey (1226), the church of St. Paul (1434), a Baroque Benedictine monastery and the Town Hall.
Delightful as this architecture is, the enchantment of Sandomierz comes from something that defies cataloguing: the atmosphere of a medieval town beautifully situated on a high bank, and filled and surrounded by greenery.
Sandomierz has grown into a favourite spot with tourists, especially younger ones and artists. In the summer whenever the weather is fine, it is likely to be crowded with twice as many visitors as residents.