Pages 1 to 3:
Introduction and History
|Visitors to the Monument leave their names on slips of paper
in an aluminium box at the site, the box just visible in the photo below.
A plastic thermos seems to have been left by the first recorded visitors
in 1973 in order for visitors to leave their names. It became so
full that a helicopter pilot, a few years later, left the watertight aluminium
battery box. It and the thermos, both packed with names, sit behind
the rock slab. The same rock slab is visible in Wallace’s photo taken
in 1913 and may well have served as a table for Hubbard, Wallace and Elson’s
last meal of boiled moccasin on that terrible October day in 1903.