Kilometres 114 to 150

I began the long final stretch down the Naskaupi with it threatening rain.I thus set out with my rain pants on and rain top ready.There was a strong wind from the west which pushed me along.I was worried what its effect would be on the waves when I reached the large Wuchusk Lake.

Looking at the topographical map (13K/5 (© CANADA 1974)), it looked like it might be better to stick to the southern edge and dash from cove to cove.The severe topographical lines along the north shore suggested to me that it might not be easy to get off the lake in the event that the waves got too big.The picture below is taken from the extreme western end of Lake Wuchusk (at Kilometre 130).The wind seemed to be from the northwest and I finally decided to stay towards the northern shore.

It turned out that the lake was very shallow along the northern half and I was forced to stay close to the centre of the lake to avoid being caught in sand banks.The wind got stronger from the west all the time, but with my spare paddle secured with the bungee cords, the canoe tracked like a charm.I ran with the growing waves as I was blown the length of the lake.

Below is a picture of my arrival at the eastern end (Kilometre 141).

The waves donít look impressive in the picture but I doubt if I could have made it back up the lake.I only had another 9 kilometres to go.There was one more rapids at the point where the Naskaupi turned south which I was able to line.

Finally below, there I was, on July 26, day 26th of the trip, at Seal Lake.I was still wearing my rain pants.I learned later that I was 30 pounds lighter.

This was the Tuesday and my float-plane was scheduled for the Thursday.I immediately got on my satellite phone but I finally had to wait until the Thursday as the weather was quite bad on the Wednesday.The winds were so strong that I could not cross Seal Lake to the south and do some exploring (map below: © CANADA 1974).

Finally on the Thursday, 3 hours later than planned and with a fierce west wind blowing the length of Seal Lake, a distant dot appeared to the south..The beaver circled around a few times looking at the whitecaps below and then to my relief came in for a landing, banging pretty hard on the waves.

We quickly had everything loaded.

Back at Goose Bay and the end of the trip.

Go back to website: "Retracing the Hubbard and Wallace Saga"

eXTReMe Tracker