NYARLATHOTEP SUMMONING AND CTHULHU DREAMWORKING
Purpose or Goal:
Nyarlathotep is considered the messenger, will, and soul of the Outer Gods of the Lovecraftian Mythos. In this mythos the Outer Gods (along with the Elder Gods) rule the universe. Though these Gods are frequently portrayed as 'evil' and chaotic; there is a wealth of alien knowledge to be found within these lesser-traveled paths. What is found is likely to be surreal, 'insane', 'grotesque', Gigeresque, alienly erotic, etc. In short, parts of ourselves some of us wish we never knew existed. To some it might simply be 'strange and beautiful'.
Azathoth is the 'ruler' of the Outer Gods, and it is his Will that we intend to petition (through Nyarlathotep) so that we may share the dreams of Cthulhu (not an Outer God, but a Great Old One , who are very powerful ancient alien beings).
Azathoth is portrayed as the 'blind idiot god', a monstrous nuclear chaos. Cthulhu can take many forms, but is most frequently portrayed as a huge octopoid headed humanoid. It is said that Cthulhu sleeps in his sunken city of R'lyeh, beneath the Pacific Ocean...waiting for his followers to awaken him.
Nyarlathotep frequently appears as a jet black humanoid...but has other forms as well. It must be mentioned that these Gods are said to wish humankind nothing but cruelty and insanity, or at the least, blind indifference.
You have been warned.
- Hair of a black dog
- Black hair of a human
- A black beetle
- Black (dark) earth
- Black blood and/or sperm*
- Black ash
- Vaseline (or 'Karmex')
- Pungent incense
- Candles (ones that you've used for any 'unbalanced' workings)
- 1 or 2 handfuls of fragrant flowers
- Flute-like instruments
(a mortar and pestle would be handy, also a small container to carry home and keep the resultant)
0. Prepare the room for working by burning a pungent incense. It should be dark except for the above mentioned candles burning. Participants should begin to work themselves into a trance-state. Those with flutes or pipes should be playing (arrhy thmic drumming is also good).
1. Participants can either be sitting or standing. Begin chanting (not in concert, i.e. not in unison) NYARLATHOTEP in deep, glottal tones. Visualize the Black Man (i.e. Nyarlathotep).
2. While building SLOWLY (1/4 to 1/2 hour ) to a frenzied state, participants should let their bodies gesture freely. Let go of the control of your body...it will seem as though someone or something else is using your body to gesture, dance, etc. Do not fight it. It might be slow and sinuous... or wild and 'chaotic'...let it flow.
3. Continue the chanting, letting pitch and range go where it will. The Speaker begins the incantation:
NYARLATHOTEP ACROSS THE ABYSS
NYARLATHOTEP ACROSS THE ABYSS OF SPACE/TIME
NYARLATHOTEP UNGOYUD ERFELCOPGECHEREF
NYARLATHOTEP TELAL...HEAR OUR VOICE!!!
NYARLATHOTEP THOU WHO WOULDST
DEVOUR THIS WORLD AND CREATE MADNESS
AMIDST THE CHILDREN OF MAN
NYARLATHOTEP AXBIM XENCH'ZY VAWEG TELAL...
HEAR OUR VOICE!!!
NYARLATHOTEP ALAL....HEAR OUR VOICE!!!
NYARLATHOTEP SOUL AND VOICE
OF THE GREAT IDIOT GOD AZATHOTH
DEPENGA BYFETH CHO REMAN/ URGARTH
NYARLATHOTEP CARRY FORTH OUR DESIRE
TO GREAT AZATHOTH
THAT WE MIGHT PARTAKE
OF DREAMS OF MADNESS
A TASTE OF YOUR GIFTS...HEAR US!!!
NYARLATHOTEP FETH QICHI
FETH QICHI... FETH QICHI... FETH QICHI...
4. (Participants should begin a chant of FETH QICHI at this
NYARLATHOTEP TELAL ALAL
GUIDE US TOWARDS OUR DESIRE
LEND THE WILL OF AZATHOTH
TOWARDS OUR DESIRE
THERE ARE DARK OFFERINGS
AND MADNESS IN OUR DESIRE
WE ARE OUR DESIRE...HEAR US!!!
AZATHOTH!!! DEPENGA BYFETH
CHO REMAN/ URGARTH
OPEN THE DREAM REALMS OF CTHULHU
TO OUR NIGHTLY WANDERINGS...
THAT WE MIGHT SHARE THE DREAM MURMURINGS
OF THE AXBIM VAWAJEZA NAGUZ
IN OUR OWN DREAMINGS
AND OF HE WHO SLEEPS IN
THE SUNKEN CITY OF R'LYEH
LET HIS DREAMS SHOW FORTH UNTO US
THAT WE MIGHT KNOW
AZATHOTH AXBIM JECHOVOG
BOXATONG CHO LAXENGAB
THROUGH NYARLATHOTEP HEAR US!!!
NYARLATHOTEP IS THY WILL
AND HIS WILL IS OURS
5. At this point the chanting should lower to sotto voce and
participants should begin to place their materials into the
mortar...all except the Vaseline/Karmex
NYARLATHOTEP YOUR SEED
INTO THE MORTAR TELAL ALAL
YOUR CHILDREN INTO THE SALVE
THE DREAMS OF CTHULHU WITHIN TELAL ALAL
IT IS WHAT WE WOULD HAVE
6. Begin to crush and work the ingredients into a paste -- the
animal hairs should have been finely diced beforehand -- and the
chanting should begin to raise in volume and pitch...when
material is finished...go on:
WOULD BE DEVOURER OF OUR WORLD
NYARLATHOTEP TELAL ALAL
UNGOYUD MANGEIF NAGUZ
IJACEEBO IJACEEBO IJACEEBO!!!
NYARLATHOTEP EDIN NA ZU!!!
7. At this point there should be silence... then all shout
8. Blow out the candle and sit/stand silently for a few minutes, then proceed to banish with laughter. In a ceramic or porcelain bowl, mix the material with enough Vaseline/Karmex to give enough of a portion to all to take home. Ointment should be applied to forehead before going to sleep whilst speaking an appropriate short dedication/incantation. Write down your following dream(s).
9. One should do this a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend abusing it. Though I have done successful work with Nyarlathotep before, this ritual is as yet UNTRIED!!! You have been warned again...It is best to perhaps leave the mortar untouched and the vortex open until all have had 'success'...then close/clean-up.
* Black blood and/or sperm as follows: fluid should be produced under appropriate mind-set and placed in a silver (or bronze) chalice and left uncovered for several days... till it turns black. Use enough fluid to avoid evaporation.
** A Vortex may be opened above the mortar (on the altar), but it should be left open...until the fruition of the work (days?)
*** Participants might consider creating Elder signs at this juncture... basically a banishing pentagram)
Corpus Fecundi Index