THE VORTEX RITE
A Chaos Magic Opening Ritual
(As described by Tzimon Yliaster)
The Vortex Rite was originally composed by Peter J. Carroll of the Illuminates Of Thananteros (IOT). Due to legalities imposed by the IOT, I am unable to post the Vortex Rite in it's original form. The IOT has chosen to restrict any exact reprint, in any medium, of the original work. So much for that.
There is nothing in copyright laws, however, to prevent another party from describing the ritual to you, so here's a synopsis of the rite. Keep in mind that this is not the original form in which it was presented by Carroll; however, all of the elements of the working are reproduced in my own words.
The rite uses the Ouranian-Barbaric language ,visualization and gesture.
A "Vortex" is conceived as a nexus of magical energy, a portal through which the power of the Primal Chaos manifests. To open a Vortex is to tap the source of magic itself, which can then be utilized for any desired purpose.
The rite is an extremely effective opening/banishing procedure, and is often used as a preliminary to other ritual work. It can also be used as a "stand alone" spellcasting ritual, with a proclimation of magical intent incorporated into it.
1. Stand up. Take a few good, deep breaths. Relax.
2. Stomp your foot on the floor and cry out HUT (meaning "start")
3. Extend both index fingers and bring them together in front of you. Say XIQUAL UDINBAK, which means roughly "manifest chaos". Visualize a point of light at your fingertips.
4. Separate the fingers so that you draw a vertical line before you. Say XIQUAL UZARFE, D'KYENG. This means, roughly, "manifest Aethyr, Planck's constant". (Aethyr is buzzing with potential, Planck's constant is total contraction.) Visualize the astrological symbol for Saturn at the top of the vertical line, and the Greek letter "psi" at the bottom.
5. Bring the index fingers back together, but keep visualizing the lines and the symbols at either end.
6. Draw a line with the fingertips perpendicular to the first line, saying XIQUAL KUDEX, EACHT (roughly, manifest light and darkness). At either end of this horizontal line, visualize, respectively, a sphere of light and one of total blackness.
7. Repeat step 5.
8. Draw another line at a 45-degree angle to the first two. Say XIQUAL ASHARA, DIJOW - roughly, manifest fire and air (they also mean energy and time, respectively). A variety of symbols can be used to represent the two, including personally-created sigils. (I tend to use the old alchemical triangles myself, but that's just the traditionalist in me talking.)
9. Repeat step 5.
10. Last line! Perpendicular to the one in step 9, with the phrase XIQUAL THALDOMA,NOBO (roughly, water and earth, or space and mass). Just like step 8, really. Use whatever symbols do it for you.
11. Take your time, and make sure that you can fully visualize all of the lines and symbols. Don't try to control color; just let it come to you as it will (this is one way to discover your own "octarine", your color of magic).
12. Say XIQUAL ONGATHAWAS (manifest the Vortex), and make a gesture with your left hand which suggests setting a wheel spinning to you. This can range from the twitch of a finger to the sweep of an arm.
13. Use your breath to speed up the initial spin. With each inhalation and exhalation, make the whirl go faster and faster. Keep doing this until it appears 3-dimensional, as if you could thrust your arm into it.
14. Your Vortex is now open! Shout out XIQUAL CHOYOFAQUE (manifest the work of chaos), or, if so inclined, some other phrase. It can be in any language you choose. It really doesn't matter (this is true of all the steps outlined. Using a weird tongue like Ouranian Barbaric helps distract the conscious mind, and thus the psychic censor). One can also shout out "XIQUAL..." and insert a prepared spell or incantation in Barbaric, Enochian or even your native language.
15. Go about whatever business you've set out to do.
16. When you're all finished with your Vortex, get the visualization strong again.
17. Point the index finger of your left hand at it and query ANGBIX (how?) Then your middle finger and ask POHUTH? (why)?, and finally your thumb with the question WOKAC? (what?). These are the three basic questions of materialism/science, spirituality/religion, and magick, respectively, per Carroll's aeonic theories.
18. See the triangle formed by the three outstretched fingers? Visualize it as a sort of volume control, a solid triangle. Turn the "knob" counterclockwise to shut the Vortex off, with a shout of AEPALIZAGE -- "immanentize the eschaton." For a full description of what the Eschaton is, it's best to refer to Carroll's works.
Of course, different people find variations on this working which have better effects for them. This is only how I myself do it - for myself, I find that using a tone of voice matched to the intent of the working(s) to follow the Vortex does better for me. Another person I've worked with draws the lines in different planes, rather than as four lines on a flat surface. In any case, the basic symbolism is a mimicry of the process by which the universe itself manifested from quantum soup.
It's an excellent, all-purpose kind of working, and due credit should be given to Carroll for devising it.
Corpus Fecundi Index